April 13, 2021
- Original researchAssociation of maternal body mass index with intellectual disability risk
In a large Swedish population-based birth cohort (1992-2006), maternal underweight or overweight/obesity in early pregnancy was independently associated with intellectual disability among offspring. High SES may attenuate the risk among children of underweight mothers.
- Images in neonatal medicinePericardial effusion and pulmonary vein stenosis in severe bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Images in neonatal medicineOral cavity masses in a newborn
March 31, 2021
- Original researchOsteopathic manipulative treatment to improve exclusive breast feeding at 1 month
This single centre RCT of 128 mother/infant dyads experiencing breast feeding difficulties showed that early osteopathic manipulative treatment did not improve exclusive breast-feeding rates at one month.
- Original researchTotal body water in full-term and preterm newborns: systematic review and meta-analysis
This systematic review identified 22 eligible trials and confirmed that the proportion of total body water at birth falls with increasing gestational age, from 90% at 26 weeks’ gestation to 74% at term.
March 11, 2021
- Original researchThermal management with and without servo-controlled system in preterm infants immediately after birth: a multicentre, randomised controlled study
This multicentre double blind RCT of 450 preterm infants evaluated the effectiveness of a thermal servo-controlled system in the delivery room. There was no important difference in rates of normothermia but the servo-controlled system was associated with increased mild hypothermia.
March 09, 2021
- Original researchRandomised trial of epinephrine dose and flush volume in term newborn lambs
In newborn lambs with cardiac arrest, higher doses of adrenaline and larger flush volumes were more effective in achieving return of spontaneous circulation during cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
March 08, 2021
- Original researchTrends in the incidence and management of hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy in the therapeutic hypothermia era: a national population study
This paper describes trends in the diagnosis and treatment of hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy in the UK National Neonatal Research Database for the years 2011-13 and 2014-16. Mortality of moderate/severe HIE decreased and more infants with mild HIE were treated in the later period.
March 03, 2021
- ReviewCurrent evidence for prenatal and postnatal corticosteroids in preterm infants
The review article looks at the current evidence for steroids in preterm infants, both pre- and postnatally.
- Original researchUsefulness of video recordings for validating neonatal encephalopathy exams: a population-based cohort study
This manuscript assesses the use of video recordings in a prospective cohort of babies with HIE compared to the neurological assessments by the on site attending physician. There were some discrepancies, especially in babies with mild HIE, but the data support the use of telemedicine to assess HIE severity.
February 24, 2021
- Original researchHypotension in Preterm Infants (HIP) randomised trial
- Images in neonatal medicineOmphalomesenteric duct in a neonate with omphalocele minor
February 17, 2021
February 10, 2021
- Images in neonatal medicineEcthyma gangrenosum in a premature infant: rare but critical to recognise
February 08, 2021
February 04, 2021
- Images in neonatal medicineEarly recognition of rusty pipe syndrome to avoid disruption of breast feeding
- Images in neonatal medicineContrast study in umbilical venous line extravasation
January 29, 2021
- Original researchReviewing recordings of neonatal resuscitation with parents
- Images in neonatal medicineVicarious excretion of contrast material in a neonate
January 27, 2021
January 25, 2021
January 21, 2021
- Short reportNeoBeat offers rapid newborn heart rate assessment
January 15, 2021
- Original researchHeart rate during the first 24 hours in term-born infants