May 10, 2021
- ReviewNeuroscience meets nurture: challenges of prematurity and the critical role of family-centred and developmental care as a key part of the neuroprotection care bundle
This review examines the developmental milestones of fetal brain and how preterm birth can disrupt this trajectory. It then outlines effective non-medical, family-centred and developmental care strategies which have the potential to improve neurodevelopmental outcomes.
- Original researchPredictive Intelligent Control of Oxygenation (PRICO) in preterm infants on high flow nasal cannula support: a randomised cross-over study
Randomised cross-over study of an oxygen controller during high-flow nasal cannula support. The controller reduced time spent in hypoxia considerably, yet not that in hyperoxia.
- Images in neonatal medicineCongenital self-healing reticulohistiocytosis in a neonate
May 07, 2021
- Original researchAutomated control of oxygen titration in preterm infants on non-invasive respiratory support
An automated oxygen controller increased the proportion of time that oxygen dependent preterm infants on non-invasive respiratory support spent in their target SpO2 range and reduced their exposure to extremes of SpO2.
- Short reportProspective comparison of thermometers used in very preterm infants
When used in predictive mode an electronic thermometer performed poorly for detecting hypothermia on admission to the neonatal unit.
- Original researchInterface leakage during neonatal CPAP treatment: a randomised, cross-over trial
Crossover study comparing interface leaks occurring with masks vs. prongs in 50 preterm infants and showing significantly lower leak with prongs. With either device, leak could be reduced by simple maneuvers, e.g., adjusting the angle, straps, bonnet or shape of the interface.
May 06, 2021
- Original researchIntrapartum group B Streptococcal prophylaxis and childhood weight gain
Retrospective study of a large cohort of term babies followed up for 5 years. Just under a fifth (17%) of these babies were exposed to antibiotics given to the mother for GBS prophylaxis and these had elevated weight gain in the first 5 yrs. The authors suggest alteration of microbiome as a possible mechanism.
May 05, 2021
- Original researchAdministration of parenteral nutrition during therapeutic hypothermia: a population level observational study using routinely collected data held in the National Neonatal Research Database
Large retrospective cohort study on infants with HIE treated with hypothermia, showing that parenteral nutrition during therapeutic hypothermia was associated with higher late-onset infection, but lower mortality.
- Short reportAssociation of Total Sarnat Score with brain injury and neurodevelopmental outcomes after neonatal encephalopathy
In infants who received therapeutic hypothermia for neonatal encephalopathy, Total Sarnat Score >12 within 6 hours of birth indicated high risk of adverse neurodevelopment while <4 indicated intact survival
- Images in neonatal medicineFunctional 2:1 AV block in a preterm
April 30, 2021
April 29, 2021
- Original researchViability and thresholds for treatment of extremely preterm infants: survey of UK neonatal professionals
Important and timely survey of UK clinicians' opinions regarding resuscitation at the limit of viability.
April 27, 2021
April 22, 2021
- Original researchUsefulness of video recordings for validating neonatal encephalopathy exams: a population-based cohort study
This manuscript assesses the use of video recordings in a prospective cohort of babies with HIE compared to the neurological assessments by the on site attending physician. There were some discrepancies, especially in babies with mild HIE, but the data support the use of telemedicine to assess HIE severity.
April 21, 2021
- ReviewSafe emergency neonatal airway management: current challenges and potential approaches
This review describes the challenges encountered with neonatal intubation, particularly in relation to training and achieving competency. It discusses strategies to optimise intubation success and examines the airway adjuncts currently available to manage the neonatal airway.
April 20, 2021
- Original researchComparison of the efficacy and safety of cuffed versus uncuffed endotracheal tubes for infants in the intensive care setting: a pilot, unblinded RCT
This single centre RCT enrolling 76 infants ≥35 weeks gestation and ≥3kg found that cuffed endotracheal tubes did not improve the percentage of time the ETT leak was within the optimal target range. Improvements were noted in some secondary outcomes. Further studies are required to provide assurance of safety in this population.
April 19, 2021
- Original researchCan EEG accurately predict 2-year neurodevelopmental outcome for preterm infants?
Prospective single centre study of the use of EEG (at 3 gestational ages 72 hours after birth, 32 and 35 weeks corrected) to predict outcome in 57 preterm infants. the study suggest that EEG at 35 weeks is a predictor of outcome at 2years.
April 16, 2021
- Original researchNeonatal hyperglycaemia is associated with worse neurodevelopmental outcomes in extremely preterm infants
Neonatal hyperglycemia itself is associated with lower IQ scores and worse motor outcome at 6.5 years, while insulin was not associated with poorer or better outcome in EXPRESS cohort survivors.
April 13, 2021
- Original researchAssociation of maternal body mass index with intellectual disability risk
In a large Swedish population-based birth cohort (1992-2006), maternal underweight or overweight/obesity in early pregnancy was independently associated with intellectual disability among offspring. High SES may attenuate the risk among children of underweight mothers.
- Images in neonatal medicinePericardial effusion and pulmonary vein stenosis in severe bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Images in neonatal medicineOral cavity masses in a newborn
March 31, 2021
- Original researchOsteopathic manipulative treatment to improve exclusive breast feeding at 1 month
This single centre RCT of 128 mother/infant dyads experiencing breast feeding difficulties showed that early osteopathic manipulative treatment did not improve exclusive breast-feeding rates at one month.
- Original researchTotal body water in full-term and preterm newborns: systematic review and meta-analysis
This systematic review identified 22 eligible trials and confirmed that the proportion of total body water at birth falls with increasing gestational age, from 90% at 26 weeks’ gestation to 74% at term.
March 11, 2021
- Original researchThermal management with and without servo-controlled system in preterm infants immediately after birth: a multicentre, randomised controlled study
This multicentre double blind RCT of 450 preterm infants evaluated the effectiveness of a thermal servo-controlled system in the delivery room. There was no important difference in rates of normothermia but the servo-controlled system was associated with increased mild hypothermia.
March 09, 2021
- Original researchRandomised trial of epinephrine dose and flush volume in term newborn lambs
In newborn lambs with cardiac arrest, higher doses of adrenaline and larger flush volumes were more effective in achieving return of spontaneous circulation during cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
March 08, 2021
- Original researchTrends in the incidence and management of hypoxic-ischaemic encephalopathy in the therapeutic hypothermia era: a national population study
This paper describes trends in the diagnosis and treatment of hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy in the UK National Neonatal Research Database for the years 2011-13 and 2014-16. Mortality of moderate/severe HIE decreased and more infants with mild HIE were treated in the later period.
March 03, 2021
February 24, 2021
- Original researchHypotension in Preterm Infants (HIP) randomised trial
- Images in neonatal medicineOmphalomesenteric duct in a neonate with omphalocele minor
February 17, 2021
February 10, 2021
- Images in neonatal medicineEcthyma gangrenosum in a premature infant: rare but critical to recognise
February 08, 2021
February 04, 2021
- Images in neonatal medicineEarly recognition of rusty pipe syndrome to avoid disruption of breast feeding
- Images in neonatal medicineContrast study in umbilical venous line extravasation
January 29, 2021
- Original researchReviewing recordings of neonatal resuscitation with parents
- Images in neonatal medicineVicarious excretion of contrast material in a neonate