Article Text

PDF
Labour and Delivery Posters
Big head, big trouble? can a large fetal head circumference predict complicated delivery?
  1. JC Donnelly1,3,
  2. SM Cooley3,
  3. N Burke1,3,
  4. J Walsh2,
  5. M Geary3,
  6. F Breathnach1,3,
  7. G Burke8,
  8. S Daly4,
  9. JR Higgins5,
  10. J Dornan6,
  11. JJ Morrison7,
  12. F McAuliffe2,
  13. F Malone1,3
  1. 1Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
  2. 2University College Dublin School of Medicine and Medical Science, and National Maternity Hopspital, Dublin, Ireland
  3. 3Rotunda Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
  4. 4Coombe Women & Infants University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
  5. 5University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
  6. 6Royal Victoria Maternity Hospital, Belfast, Ireland
  7. 7University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
  8. 8Mid-Western Regional Maternity Hospital, Limerick, Ireland

Abstract

This study evaluated the predictive value of fetal head circumference (FHC) for difficult birth and assessed the correlation between FHC and neonatal head circumference (NHC).

A prospectively collated database was analysed for maternal age, body mass index (BMI), fetal biometry, labour and neonatal outcomes. Delivery was considered complicated if achieved by emergency Caesarean section (EmCS) or operative vaginal delivery, while spontaneous vertex delivery was classified as ‘uncomplicated’. Delivery by elective CS was excluded. Data analysis was performed using SAS software.

583 nulliparous singleton term pregnancies were included for analysis. FHC was measured at a mean gestational age of 35.4 weeks. 43% (252) had an uncomplicated delivery. 57% (333) had a complicated delivery (EmCS =24.8% (145), forceps = 4.5% (26), vacuum = 25.9% (151), vacuum plus forceps = 1.5% (9)). A FHC of 34cm at 35 weeks' gestational age was identified as the 90th centile. Sonographic measurement of FHC consistently underestimated NHC by 3.0cm (8.5%). Odds ratio (OR) for having a “difficult birth” if the FHC was greater than the 90% centile was 2.8 (95% CI 1.3-6.3). The OR increases further with increasing age (OR=1.5, 95% CI 1.3-1.8) and increasing BMI (OR 1.2, 95% CI 1.0-1.6).

Despite underestimating NHC by an average of 8%, FHC greater than the 90th centile in the late third trimester is a significant risk factor for difficult birth. Prospective interventional trials should now be considered to evaluate the role of late gestation ultrasound assessment of FHC as a predictive tool toward selecting optimal mode of delivery.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.