Ultrasonographic determination of neonatal spinal canal depth
- 1Department of Radiology, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
- 2Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
- 3Department of Child Health, St Michael’s Hospital, Bristol, UK
- Dr W Kelsall, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Box 226, Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK;
- Accepted 24 January 2008
- Published Online First 19 February 2008
Objective: To determine by ultrasound (US) the spinal canal depth (SCD) in neonates and subsequently establish a nomogram and simple formula for calculating this distance.
Design: 116 US measurements were performed by two investigators in 105 neonates at the L3/4 intervertebral space. Both anterior and posterior spinal canal depth were measured and mid-spinal canal depth (MSCD) calculated. Measurements of intra- and interobserver variability were also performed.
Results: A clear relationship was found between body weight (W, kg) and all SCD measurements in neonates. In particular, MSCD = 2.2W + 6.89 mm (R2 correlation coefficient 0.76), approximated by 2W + 7 mm.
Conclusion: SCD measurements are easily determined by US in neonates, with good correlation between weight and MSCD.
Competing interests: None.
Ethics approval: Approved by the local Research and Ethics Committee.